No matter if you’re a first time homeowner, or are renovating after many years of saving, it can be hard to decide what home improvements to spend your money on. That’s why we compiled a list of the top ten home improvement projects for LA homeowners. From the basics, to the bells and whistles, you’re new favorite home home improvement will be on this list.
“If the roof is leaking, buyers won’t get beyond that,” says Ron Phipps with Phipps Realty in Warwick, R.I. “I don’t care how awesome the kitchen is.”
Basic home improvements:
- Fresh paint: Nothing can help your home’s curb appeal as much as a fresh coat of paint. The modern architecture of Los Angeles is complimented by neutral colors, like greys. Whether you’re selling your home, or plan on living in it for the rest of your life, we recommend this home improvement for everyone.
- Local solution: House Painting Inc. We love looking at their past work in the website’s galleries. You’re sure to find something similar to your home.
- Low Maintenance Yard Care/ Lawn Alternatives: Southern California is in the middle of a drought. If you’re like most people trying to cut back on your water consumption, your lawn is taking a hit. Make your yard look beautiful again with a lawn alternative. Some options include gravel, stonework, and succulents.
- Local solution: Gardens West Landscape, Inc. The customer service at Garden’s West is unlike any other.
- Entry Makeover: Stop coming home mad and instead love your space from the moment you walk in. Simply add a new entry table for a quick update, or, spend a little more to take down a wall and open up your entryway.
- Local solution: Martins Construction Corp. Talk about beauty, the redesigns by Martins will have you wanting to redo the whole home.
Mid-Range home improvements:
- Customized Garage: Be proud to open your garage door with a fully customized garage storage system. In fact, an organized garage can contribute to a higher home value. We reccomend cabinets for a sleek, modern feel.
- Local solution: AAA Garage Solutions Owner, Jay Griffith, is so helpful and kind, you’ll consider him a friend quickly.
- Minor Bathroom Update: No one is happy in an outdated bathroom with a seafoam tub. Invest in yourself by updating the stinks, tub, or flooring in your bathroom.
- Local solution: One Week Bath A contractor that does fast work? Sign us up!
- Minor Kitchen Update: It’s time to bring sleekness into your outdated kitchen. Making small updates can pay off big time. Some of these include installing new appliances and giving your cabinets a fresh coat of paint and new hardware.
- Local solution: Construction Owl This all-in-one solution makes getting everything fixed at once, a breeze.
- Love Your Laundry Room: Face it, you spend more time in your laundry room than you would like to. Don’t you want to be more comfortable when you use it? Try adding small updates that you’ll love, big time. Add a drying rack and shelf to quickly fold clothes on. Update your laundry hampers for more convenience.
- Local solution: Yourself! We think any DIYer can handle this update.
Expensive Home Improvements:
- Solar Power Panels: Take advantage of that hot, Southern California sun with solar powered cells. While this home improvement project will cost you a pretty penny (usually around $50,000) to get started, can pay off significantly with lowering your power bills. No only that, it’s great for the environment and can be counted as a tax deduction.
- Local solution: Los Angeles Solar Panel We love how much experience Los Angeles Solar Panel has. They are truly the experts.
- Front Door Redo: Want to take your home to the next level quickly? Replacing your front door for a custom option, can make your house stick out. positively. Make your home improvement extra special with custom stained glass and hand-carved designs.
- Local solution: D & L Stained Glass The homey feel of the shop makes remodeling a whole lot less intimidating.
- Landscaping: Adding new landscaping to your front yard is a great way to up your curb appeal. Try trees and plants that are low maintenance and don’t require a lot of water to flourish. Don’t know where to start? We recommend talking to a professional landscape artist, who can take into account your needs and preferences.
- Local solution: Flores Landscaping You’ll love their photos of previous work as much as we do!